Seeking a General Manager for an agribusiness management and farming company based on Hawaii Island. Established in 1988, the company manages multiple farms and orchards in both Hilo and Kona with field offices in both areas that the General Manager will be responsible for. The GM is required to live on the island of Hawaii and drive to both field officesa and to the various individual farms that are managed by the Company for various clients.
General Operations Description
- The Company’s clients are generally the owners of macadamia nut, coffee or tropical fruit orchards. Many of these orchard owners do not live in Hawaii. In addition, the Company manages projects for State and local government. Government projects are not farming in nature, and generally consist of natural resource restoration projects.
- The Company farms for its own account a 30-acre tropical fruit orchard in East Hawaii and a 16-acre Kana coffee farm in West Hawaii.
The following is a list of the management categories and job responsibilities that are desired:
- Work with the Company’s clients to determine the operations required, schedule the work and manage the execution of the desired operations.
- Manage the Company’s employees in the execution of their assigned jobs.
- Manage the maintenance of the company’s facilities and equipment.
- Management of the Companies employees. This will include hiring and termination, instruction and guidance on the implementation of the required work, scheduling of transportation for employees’ equipment and materialgs, schedule and conduct employee informational meetings, and monitor employee safety on the job and implement safety procedures as necessary.
- Secure and manage contract harvesters.
- Prepare bids for projects.
- Coordinate with the owners and bookkeeper on cost containment.
- Manage crop harvesting and delivery to the processor.
- Market the Company’s tropical fruits and Kona coffee.
Management of Client Relationship:
- Coordinate with clients on determining optimum agricultural management practices for their orchards.
- Prepare an annual budget if required by the client
- Recommend to clients the cultivation operations required and the frequency of those operations. Schedule the work accordingly.
- Determine a crop harvesting schedule.
- Prepare a monthly report of activity if required by the client in conjunction with the invoicing.
- BS Agricultural Degree from an accredited college or university preferred.
- 5 years Agricultural Management Experience preferably in Hawaii.
- Able to use computer programs such as Microsoft Word and Excel.
- Basic mechanical knowledge.